Wednesday, March 20, 2013

recipes 150 and 151: the first day of spring equals brackets and peas!

There are some things that remind me of the beginning of spring- peas, asparagus, lemons, eggs (Maybe because of Easter? Who knows what goes on inside my head!), and MARCH MADNESS BRACKET PRESSURE. Or for short, since I've said this so many times in the past 24 hours and feel the need to abbreviate in the spirit of word economy, March Madness bressure. I am unsure whether the stray blog reader is aware of my March Madness prowess and so I will discuss that for a minute. I came in first in a big pool in 2011 (and yes, a printout of my winning bracket is still in my purse and is a go-to document when solace is needed). Last year, I came in third in the same large pool, missing the second place cash money prize by only a hair. I heard today that people were complaining about my participation in my beloved March Madness pool of choice because I am that good. All of this being said, I make my picks with my heart and not my brain. I say things like: "Oh Oklahoma, you have a special place in my heart [mind wanders for about 10-12 minutes about why Oklahoma has a special place in  my heart] and I would like you to advance to the next round. Done." I pick like such the stereotypical girl! And then I win. March Madness is really anyone's game! So as it stands, I am really stressing out about Gonzaga v. Ohio State and Georgetown v. Indiana. I have an image to maintain, people! The choices are much tougher when I have to resort to logical analysis over intuitive emotion. So I'll take a little break from that and move on to peas! Spring peas! Happy first day of spring! Good luck with your bracket picks! And please get your winter coats dry-cleaned asap, it is time (oh wait, that last note was just a reminder to me). The first recipe is adapted from the Food Network: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/spring-peas-with-dates-and-walnuts-recipe/index.html and the second recipe is from a printout that my mom sent me awhile ago (source otherwise unknown). Both recipes are delicious if I do say so myself.

SUGAR SNAP PEAS WITH DATES AND WALNUTS
Ingredients:
-1 lb sugar snap peas
-a handful of frozen peas and a handful of snow peas (in your discretion; they can be eliminated entirely as they were the last time I made this- see picture below- and it was just as delicious)
-1/2 T - 1 T olive oil (depending on whether you use extra peas)
-1 shallot, sliced
-1/3 c chopped walnuts
-1/3 c chopped dates (believe it or not, but you can actually buy finely chopped dates, which I did)
-pinch of salt and pepper (or to taste)
-2 t walnut or peanut oil

Instructions:
1) boil the water, blanch the peas, and drain them
2) heat the olive oil in a pan, add the shallots, and cook for two minutes
3) add the walnuts and dates and cook for one more minute
4) add the peas, salt, and pepper and cook for about 3-5 minutes depending on how al dente you would like the peas
I don't think I used shallots this time. C'est la vie! Still delish!
5) remove the peas from the heat and toss with the walnut or peanut oil

PAN-FRIED GNOCCHI WITH BACON, ONIONS, AND PEAS
Ingredients:
-1 lb frozen gnocchi
-5 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
-4 T olive oil
-one small red onion, sliced
-1/2 c frozen peas
-a handful of chopped fresh parsley
-2 T parmesan cheese
-salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
1) cook the gnocchi according to package instructions, drain, but reserve 1/2 c of the pasta water
2) cook onions in 2 T olive oil; add the peas, parsley, salt, and pepper
3) remove the onion mix from the pan, add the remaining 2 T olive oil to the pan, and add the gnocchi
4) when the gnocchi has lightly browned, add the onion mix, pasta water, and cheese
5) stir, remove from heat, and serve
this is very, very, very yummy

No comments:

Post a Comment