Sunday, March 17, 2013

recipe 149: the only successful recipe of St. Patrick's weekend

Dear corned beef- it's not you, it's me. Dear boiled cabbage- it's not me, it's definitely you, no matter what concoction of deliciousness in which I boil you. Dear Guinness- I don't succeed when I try to cook with you. I will stick to drinking you. Dear self- the luck of the Irish wasn't with you this year, but good trying! Better luck next St. Patrick's Day. Heart, Tiffany

Here- two pictures of wild St. Patrick's unsuccess (is that a word?):
I didn't like this meal as a child and I still don't like it. I should have known better! Gag!

These Guinness cupcakes looked good but weren't good. More beer than chocolate in a cupcake = disaster.   
Lesson learned! From now on, on St. Patrick's Days of the future, I will stick to dressing up with green props because that is always a success. But despite all of this unsuccess, St. Patrick's Day was saved by a very social weekend and these potatoes (Potatoes are Irish, right? Right!), only slightly adapted from The Pioneer Woman: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/06/crash-hot-potatoes/

CRISPY SMASHED POTATOES
Ingredients:
-16 small red potatoes
-olive oil
-salt
-cracked pepper
-fresh rosemary

Instructions:
1) preheat the oven to 450 degrees
2) boil the potatoes until they are fork tender
3) lightly drizzle oil on two cookie sheets and shake the sheets around
4) drain the potatoes, spread them out on the cookie sheets, smush them with a potato masher, drizzle with a little more olive oil, and top with salt, pepper, and fresh rosemary

5) bake for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are starting to look crispy

Thank you, Crispy Smashed Potatoes, for saving St. Patrick's Day 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment