Sunday, September 30, 2012

recipe 84: grilled pork loin with brown sugar cilantro chimichurri

Fine. Summer's over. Here's a picture from my sister's birthday in Atlantic City which is evidence that summer is over. I'm all about evidence and proof, by the way, which is part of my job description: "please be all about evidence and proof, thanks." So I am, and here's evidence that summer is over:
Happy Birthday, sister!


Since you've last heard from me, I've been busy practicing Gangnam Style http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangnam_Style in both totally appropriate settings (e.g. Atlantic City hotel rooms and weddings) and totally inappropriate settings (e.g. work), and busy becoming obsessed with Honey Boo Boo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_Comes_Honey_Boo_Boo, about a month and a half after the rest of the universe.

Coming right up is my last summer recipe, which can also be easily autumnized or winterized, if the pork is cooked in one of these fashions, instead of grilled: http://cookingmywaytothe365.blogspot.com/2012/06/recipes-42-43-44-45-trifecta-third-pork.html

So I heard about chimichurri for the first time on a trip to Argentina in 2007 with my friend Amy. We ate it with our delicious Argentinean steak at Las Lilas: http://www.laslilas.com/restaurant.php. This page appears to be partially in Spanish, sorry, but I wholeheartedly recommend this restaurant to anyone and everyone hitting up Buenos Aires anytime soon!
Argentina. August. That tricky southern hemisphere! Look how well I'm transitioning into the colder weather in 2007!
Anyway, my chimichurri sauce is not actually from Argentina but is instead inspired by Tyler Florence, via Food Network: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/pork-tenderloin-with-chimichurri-recipe/index.html. My version of this recipe is so different from this version, that it may actually qualify as my own recipe, but the inspiration comes from Las Lilas and Tyler Florence.

GRILLED PORK LOIN WITH BROWN SUGAR CILANTRO CHIMICHURRI
Ingredients:
-one pork loin, marinated in the sauce and grilled
-1 c chopped fresh cilantro
-6 T olive oil
-minced garlic, lots
-1/2 t salt
-1/4 t pepper
-5 T dark brown sugar
-3 T mustard
-1 T soy sauce
-1 T honey
-2 t balsamic vinegar
-2 squeezed limes

Instructions:
1) mix all marinade ingredients and marinate the pork in about half of the marinade for up to 24 hours (reserving the other half of the marinade for after the pork is cooked)
2) grill the pork to your liking
3) drizzle the pork with the remaining marinade

3 comments:

  1. Love pic of u and col! Honey boo boo is awesome! In one of the episodes she visits the same 4d ultrasound place that i used for liam and lenox!(in macon,ga)...she lives in a small twn abt an hr south of me right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very, very exciting! If you ever see her and Mama, PLEASE promise that I'll be your first phone call and that you'll make your best efforts to get some autographs!

    ReplyDelete