Friday, April 6, 2012

EDITED! recipes 20, 21, and 22: cadbury creme egg brownies, simple deviled eggs, and smoked salmon, goat cheese, and dill quiche

Easter = eggs. 'Nuff said! And with that uncharacteristically brief and un-wordy intro, here you go. [EDITED! The intro is no longer uncharacteristically brief and un-wordy as I just realized I forgot to post my Cadbury creme egg brownie recipe in my Easter post! I thought that I'd come up with the Cadbury creme egg brownie recipe concoction entirely on my own a couple of years ago. Google, apparently, would beg to differ. It appears that a lot of people make Cadbury creme egg brownies. Whatever. I will say that when I made these for the first time circa 2009 or 2010, I truly believed that the invention was entirely my own. I have no reason to lie about this as I think I've established a pretty good track record of posting the source of my recipes!] As for the other two recipes, I've been making the deviled eggs for a long time and I'm sure I found the recipe somewhere generic (like I said, really good about posting my source). The salmon, goat cheese, and dill quiche is from the same high school classmate's food blog that is no longer in existence. Sad face. If I remember correctly, I believe she also credited Cooking Light for this recipe. Now serving: healthy-ish eggs (the quiche), not-so-healthy eggs (the deviled ones), and totally fake eggs (you can guess this one by process of elimination).

CADBURY CREME EGG BROWNIES
Ingredients:
-Ghirardelli brownie mix and accompanying ingredients
-one dozen (gasp!) Cadbury creme egg brownies

Instructions:
1) prepare Ghirardelli brownie batter according to instructions
2) PLEASE use Ghirardelli and not other brownie mixes - it is the crown jewel of brownie mixes as far as I'm concerned http://www.ghirardellibrownies.com/
3) roughly chop the creme eggs (this will be gooey and messy) and stir a third or half into the batter, anything goes!
4) bake the brownies according to instructions
5) as soon as the brownies come out of the oven, slather the top with the remaining creme eggs and allow to cool

SIMPLE DEVILED EGGS (makes a platter for a mini-picnic)
Ingredients:
-6 large eggs
-3 T mayo
-1/2 - 1 T mustard
-salt, pepper, and paprika
-1 T capers

Instructions:
1) put the eggs in a pot and cover them with an inch of cold water on top
2) bring the eggs to a boil, remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 18 minutes in the hot water
3) take the eggs out of the water and immediately immerse them in cold water to cool
4) peel the eggs and cut lengthwise
5) scoop out the yolks and mash with the mayo, mustard, salt, and pepper
6) stir in the capers
7) scoop the yolk mixture back into the egg white shells and dust with paprika




SMOKED SALMON, GOAT CHEESE, AND DILL QUICHE (makes one quiche; serves 4)
Ingredients:
-1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
-1 T unsalted butter
-1 1/4 c fat free evaporated milk
-1/4 c fat free sour cream
-1 T dijon mustard
-4 large egg whites plus 1 large egg (yolk included)
-4 oz crumbled goat cheese
-approx 4 oz thinly sliced smoked salmon
-chopped fresh dill to taste (I say "tons")
-salt and pepper
-pinch of nutmeg
-ready-made pie crust

Instructions:
1) preheat oven to 400 degrees
2) melt butter in skillet and saute the onions
3) whisk the next 6 ingredients in a big bowl
4) stir in the onions, salmon, and dill
5) season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg
6) pour into a crust (don't let it overflow!) and bake for 45-60 minutes until set

No comments:

Post a Comment