Wednesday, November 21, 2012

recipes 94, 95, 96, and 97: pumpkin stuff

A lot has been going on. A LOT!

First of all, here is the new view:

Dear Manhattan: If I can't live in you, I'm glad I get to see you every day.
Dear Hoboken: I will admit that it took me awhile to warm up to you. You did not have me at hello. But I like you now. You had me at: "Hurricane! Crisis! Community!"
Dear Mice: Good riddance, brothas! I did not appreciate your return. It was not good timing.

Second of all, I am also moving offices.

Third of all, this trifecta of life move/work move/hurricane aftermath has hurtled me into quite a crescendo of sorts. So I'll just keep repeating to myself what I once overheard someone screeching in a setting that shall remain nameless: "Serenity now! Serenity now! Serenity now!"

Fourth of all, my blog views have skyrocketed! I was very excited about this until... I looked into it a little further and realized that nobody is particularly interested in my recipes, but really interested in my post on Venn diagrams because a certain combination of words makes that post pop up in a Google image search. This has led more than one person to suggest that I start blogging about Venn diagrams. Ever the populist, after I finish these pumpkin recipes and Thanksgiving recipes, I will throw out some more Venn diagrams. The people have spoken. And their loyal writer has listened. I wonder if my post on Venn diagrams is printed out and attached to high school homework assignments. I certainly hope so.

The first pumpkin recipe is inspired by this recipe: http://hauteapplepie.com/2012/10/11/pumpkin-pancakes-with-creamy-cinnamon-maple-syrup/. The second one is slightly adapted from this recipe: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/baked-pumpkin-french-toast/#more-13309. The third one is slightly adapted from this recipe: http://leitesculinaria.com/3181/recipes-pumpkin-cheesecake-gingersnap-crust.html. The fourth one comes from this recipe (adapted): http://www.italianstay.com/italyinformation/pasta/ravioli.htm

SIMPLE PUMPKIN PANCAKES WITH CREAMY HONEY DRIZZLE
Ingredients:

For the pancakes-
-1/2 c pureed pumpkin
-1 c boxed pancake mix (plus whatever add-ins are on the instructions on the box)
-3-4 T milk
-cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger to taste

For the drizzle-
-some cream cheese
-a tiny bit of butter
-honey

Instructions:
1) mix the pancake ingredients and cook them
2) melt together the drizzle ingredients in a small saucepan and drizzle on the cooked pancakes

BAKED RUM-PUMPKIN FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
Ingredients:
Casserole-
-2/3 loaf French bread
-3 eggs
-2/3 c pumpkin puree
-1/3 c sugar
-1 T vanilla
-1-2 T (or more!) of rum
-tiny dashes of cinnamon and nutmeg
-cooking spray

Streusel topping-
-1/2 c flour
-1/2 c brown sugar
-tiny dashes of cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt
-between 1/4 c and 1/2 c butter, cut into pieces

Instructions:
1) spray a 9x9 casserole dish with some cooking spray
2) tear the bread into little pieces and place in pan
3) mix the remaining casserole ingredients and pour on top of bread
4) cover the casserole and refrigerate overnight
5) mix all of the streusel topping ingredients and refrigerate overnight in a separate bowl
6) the next day, preheat the oven to 350 degrees, sprinkle the streusel topping on top of the casserole and bake 45-55 minutes (syrup optional!)

PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE WITH GINGERSNAP CRUST
Ingredients:
Crust
-1 stick of butter, melted
-1 1/2 c gingersnap cookie crumbs
-1/2 c toasted pecans (toasted on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for 15 minutes

Filling
-12 oz cream cheese, softened
-3/4 c brown sugar
-3/4 c white sugar
-5 eggs
-1 1/2 c pumpkin puree
-3/4 c light cream
-dash of cinnamon

Instructions:
1) preheat oven to 325 degrees
2) lightly butter a 10 inch round pan
3) combine the "crust" ingredients, press into the bottom of the pan, bake for 10 minutes and let cool
4) beat the cream cheese until smooth, add in the sugars, add in the eggs one at a time (while beating)
5) add the pumpkin puree to the cream cheese mix and stir
6) stir in the cream and cinnamon just until incorporated
7) bake until the edges are set and the center jiggles a little (about 1 hour)
8) turn off the oven, keep the oven door slightly open and allow the cheesecake to remain in the oven for an hour
9) cover and refrigerate overnight

PUMPKIN RAVIOLI WITH SAGE BUTTER
Ingredients:
-28 oz frozen pumpkin ravioli (cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater!)
-20 small sage leaves
-2 oz butter
-parmesan cheese to taste

Instructions:
1) cook the ravioli in salted boiling water according to package instructions
2) melt the butter, add the sage, and fry for only a few seconds
3) pour the sauce immediately over the ravioli, add parmesan to taste, and eat!
so simple, so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment